--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "It's just a ride"
<bill.hicks.all.a.r...@...> wrote:

> On Sat, Aug 1, 2009 at 1:27 PM, Rick Archer <r...@...> wrote:
> > There's a lot of truth in that. I and others got kicked out of the TM
> > movement for beginning to think independently without worrying about the
> > possible consequences. A while after this happened to me, I was chatting on
> > the phone with a fellow who at one time had been my best friend. I was
> > expressing this ambivalent, all possibilities attitude about Maharishi -
> > that there was no need to take all his pronouncements as absolutes, that
> > much of what he said and did may have been expressions of cultural
> > conditioning and personal idiosyncrasies rather than cosmic perspectives.
> > If we had been meeting in person, I'm sure I would have seen the color
> > drain from his face. His voice sounded "ashen" and he quickly terminated
> > the call. He hasn't returned a phone call or an email since then.
> >

> I never thought independently that Maharishi was a god or spoke the
> truth of the gods.  It was the initiators, in advanced lectures and on
> residence courses who told us that Maharishi spoke from the home of
> all the laws of nature and therefore spoke only the truth, that which
> is true on every level of creation, as perceived from every state of
> consciousness.
>
> How did it all start, this business that Maharishi could speak only
> the truth, that which was true at every level, from every vantage
> point?  Was it Maharishi himself who said this and encouraged his
> belief or was it his BN followers?
>
> Art imitates life.  I remember the reporter from the Village Voice
> telling Alfie in Annie Hall that people consider Maharishi God.  That
> millions of people would crawl on their hands and knees across the
> country merely to be able to touch the hem of his garment.   My
> meditator friends and I laughed and laughed when we saw that scene.
> While my friends and I were laughing, it appears the hardcore TMers
> were going off to TTC and Six Month courses to be with He they
> believed were God.
>
> Is that the way it is?  Would TM have been better if Maharishi didn't
> have all of these BN initiators?

Charlie Lutes was the anecdote!  :-) He wasn't too popular either. Charlie was
always, 'just Charlie' and spoke mostly from his experience. He was a straight
shooter, whereas MMY, well, I think he sugar coated the truth a lot. I guess he
thought it would be much more palatable to us ignorant Westerners.......