--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Sal Sunshine <salsunsh...@...> wrote:

> I'm having trouble figuring out why this is so popular...
> all it looks like to me is people posting links with a
> short blurb.  I don't see how anyone finds that addicting.
> I can see how it could be useful as an information
> exchange, but for social networking it would seem
> to be seriously limited.  What am I missing?

I think that the article I posted from Slate
on "Seeking" explains a lot of the appeal.
It's a technology that appeals to and caters
to those who like pushing buttons and getting
instant feedback, the same way that rats press
the button to get a food pellet or a jolt of
electricity in their brains.

http://www.slate.com/id/2224932/

I'm not convinced it's a positive phenomenon.
Anything that so many people can become so
addicted to so quickly is a drug, even if it's
a computer drug and not a chemical one.

One of the biggest drugs going these days is
the "fear of being out of touch." Twitter
assuages that fear.

It would never appeal to me because I purpose-
fully stay "out of touch" as much as possible.
I pride myself on never having had a beeper,
and never having to give my mobile phone
number to anyone I don't want to, including
the companies I work for. As for "staying on
top of the News," that seems like an exercise
in folly to me, an impossible task.

All in all, never having been attracted to
Twitter in the least, whenever I hear the
term I think of Doonesbury's Roland Hedley,
Jr., the war correspondent who has nothing to
say but tweets compulsively anyway. "Eating
a felafel in Baghad...thought you'd want to
know."  :-)