> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "ShempMcGurk" <shempmcgurk@> wrote:
> >
> > Okay, I have now seen John's subsequent posting on Maize
> > in ancient times which answers a lot of my questions!
>
> Has it occurred to you to wonder why, if a Sanskrit term
> that we were sure referred to maize was used in the Vedas,
> the evidence cited for the existence of maize in ancient
> India has to do with sculpture that appears to portray
> maize, and the references to it in the Vedas aren't
> mentioned at all?

The beginning of the  line in question seems to go like this:

nivaarashuukavattanvii piitaa...

(nivaara-shuukavat tanvii piitaa...)

Vocabulary:

nIvAra (niivaara)       m. (ifc. f. %{A}) wild rice (sg. the plant ; pl. the
grains) VS. S3Br. MBh. &c. ;

zUka (shuuka)   m. n. (g. %{ardharcA7di} ; derivation doubtful) the awn of
grain R. Sarvad.

The suffix -vat after 'shuuka' means 'like' (adv.
1. In the manner of being; as if. )