Today's cafe rants are probably going to have a theme.
This theme was inspired by an old friend saying with a
straight face on another Internet forum that "exclusive
aim of human existence" is to "break free the from the
repetitive phenomenon of birth and death."

On one level, I feel for this friend. I used to parrot
this crap myself once, and actually believed it. I now
look back on the being who believed that as incredibly
narcissistic and incredibly lazy and incredibly self-
serving. I too once preferred the silence of meditation
to the noise of the streets, and thus bought the "teach-
ings" of recluses who were so afraid of noise that they
withdrew into ashrams that the ultimate goal of life was
to eliminate life entirely. By withdrawing from life and
living the life of a recluse until one realizes enlight-
enment, and then ultimately by withdrawing from life
entirely so much so that it never happens again. All
that would be left is the silence. That was perceived
as the "goal."

Some here perceive that as the goal still. I do not, and
in this particular cafe rap I'm going to rap a bit about
why. Caveat emptor.

Much is said in traditional Eastern spirituality about
realization of the "Self." Capital "S." As opposed to
that awful lower-case "s" word, "self." But if you
analyze what most of the spiritual teachers you revere
actually said, most of them were teaching that self and
Self were exactly the same thing.

Meditation -- meaning eyes-closed, withdraw-from-the-
senses-and-the-world meditation -- is the *easy* path
to realization of the Self. You shut everything out, and
if you're lucky you manage to "transcend" the noise and
experience silence. And you call that experience "Self."
Capital "S." If you bought the dogma that the teachers
revere taught you, you hope that someday this silence
will be 24/7 and that you will experience it all the time.

Nothing wrong with that, IMO. It's just the belief that
self is something *different* than Self that I don't buy.

Self is just self realizing what's really going on. And
a self can do that as easily in activity as it can with
eyes closed in meditation. If this were not true, then
enlightenment could not exist.

So why do so many *rag* on self, and talk about "eliminating
the self," or "becoming Self," as if the latter somehow
left self *behind* like a snake shedding its skin? That's
not how I see things, or experienced them during my personal
enlightenment experiences.

I always saw -- and experienced -- enlightenment as an
*additive* process, not a *subtractive* one. Perception of
everything as silence with eyes closed in sitting meditation
was not any different than perception of everything as
silence in a traffic jam. My experience was always the "200%
of life" that Maharishi talked about. And 200% was always
perceived as more interesting than 100% -- on *either* side
of the equation. That is, "24/7 samadhi in activity" tended
to be more fun and more fulfilling not only than 100% lost
in the relative with no samadhi, it *also* tended to be more
fun and more fulfilling than 100% lost in samadhi, with
eyes closed.

So I find it difficult to comprehend why so many profess
the latter as their "goal" in life.

They claim to be working towards "200% of life," but the
actual "goal" they speak of is to have the relative half of
life GO AWAY, so that they are left with only the silence
of samadhi. They wish to become the "drop merged with the
ocean," Self with *no* self component.

Seems to me that what they're hoping by believing this is
that *after* having realized 200% of life by realizing their
enlightenment, the *payoff* for this is reverting to 100%
again.

For all I know I may be the only person on this forum who
thinks this is REEEALLY REEEALLY STOOOPID. But then
I believe that that First Noble Truth indicates that Buddha
was somewhat of a Wuss. "Life is suffering" as the basis of
all of his teachings? Give me a fuckin' break.

Life is cool. If the teachers we revere are really to be
believed, relative existence is not only not "lesser" than
the Absolute, it *is* the Absolute. "200% of life" is being
able to realize and appreciate both simultaneously.

And yet thousands if not millions strive for enlightenment
*so that* they can theoretically eliminate one half of life.
They set as the *goal* of their spiritual path "getting off
the wheel," and ending incarnation entirely. They *look
forward* to leaving 100% of the relative behind, *rejecting*
the accomplishment of "200% of life," and becoming 100% of
the Absolute for all eternity. Go figure.

I do not share their goal. My goal is not to transcend the
relative but to experience it as *both* relative and Absolute,
all the time. And then to *continue* experiencing it as both,
as long as that continues. I do not seek a "cessation of
life" or a "cessation of self" or a "cessation of seeking."
I hope that life is set up such that seeking continues
eternally, and that I -- as self or Self -- never tire of it.