<snip>
> So the "life is suffering" metaphors don't *work* as
> well for me as they might for those who are suffering.
> I do not deny their suffering or the desire for a
> cessation of that suffering. It's just that -- for
> whatever reason -- I find it difficult to *feel* that
> desire for a cessation of suffering or a cessation
> of relative life itself. Relative life has just
> fuckin' *rocked* for me. In this incarnation and in
> several more that I have memories of.
>
> In some of them I was persecuted and literally tortured
> to death. Slowly. By people who were *getting off* on
> torturing me. These memories -- whatever they are and
> wherever they came from -- are part of my personal
> "memory bank," my recollection of my personal past. To
> me they feel just as "real" as memories of last week.
>
> But those incarnations rocked, too. I would not change
> one moment of any of them. If I did, I wouldn't be here
> the way I am now, and I kinda like here and the way I
> am now.

The interesting thing is that a lesson learned in one
life may be forgotten in the next, which means one may
have to repeat it in a subsequent life. (Remembering
what happened in one life is not the same as learning
the lesson it represented; either can occur without the
other.)

One may have to go through many cycles of learning a
lesson, forgetting it, and then having to learn it all
over again, until eventually the lesson "sticks" from
one life to the next, so that one no longer repeats
the mistakes that necessitated the lesson in the first
place.