--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Jason <jedi_sp...@...> wrote:

>       Try telling this to people caught in Nazi holocaust, Partition riots,
> Khemer rouge genocide in Cambodia,  Stalinist purge in Soviet Union,  Cancer
> patients,  children suffering from mal-nutrition in third world countries etc
> etc.
>
>        Life is not exactly "cool" for them.  eh.??

I think the quote is not "Life is Suffering" but "Suffering is inevitable", one
being as pessimistic and imbalanced (yes even really stupid) as it sounds, the
other stating an unavoidable reality, as Buddha seems, in that well known story
(even if hagiographic or apocryphal), to have noticed that without exception we
all will age and die, and watch our loved ones age and die as that is
inevitable, and quite appropriately none of us laugh about that, mixed with
other more wondrous or awe inspiring experiences.

As to those more horrific events which we are at risk to experiencing, that is
why one of my favorite summaries of advaita is "sticks and stones can break my
bones but names will never hurt me."  Mamma was right, the error of
superimposition is the root of much unnecessary mental anguish.  But realizing
that does not neuter the other reality, that sticks and stones can break my
bones.  Buddha, for what its worth, did there draw a line in the sand and part
with magical thinking.