For the record, I find nothing technically wrong
or offensive in Shemp's "review." And his Subject
line is just *perfect*. He is merely projecting
his own hangups and hatreds onto a movie framework
that allowed him to do so. That those hangups were
so predominant as to make him miss the movie itself
is sad, but not unusual.

For example, having been commissioned by a mag to
write an article about "Avatar," I felt the need to
rent a few of the movies it has been compared to,
and that were claimed as "sources." One of them
was "Dances With Wolves," which I saw again last
night. Lovely film, one with an uplifting vision
that those who see it without "hangup filters" in
place that force them to see *only* the hangup and
not the film would gain some benefit from seeing.
I mention it because there is not a single moment
in the film in which Mary McDonnell's hair is
shown as "dirty-looking" or "snarled" or "matted"
or a "rat's nest." It's just windblown and unkempt.
And lovely.

Just as Shemp missed the film he was watching
because all he could see in it were his own hatreds
and hangups, so did the person who freaked out over
Mary McDonnell looking like a "slattern" because all
she could see in the film were her own hangups. At
least Shemp actually *saw* the movie he projected his
hangups onto; given the inaccuracy of her descriptions
and her past history on this forum, it is not clear
that Judy ever saw "Dances With Wolves."

The only hair that really stands out in "Dances With
Wolves" is Rodney A. Grant's, as "Wind In His Hair."
If one were prone to project one's hangups about
"inauthenticity" onto a film just to have something
to criticize in it, one could make the case that
because his hair (long enough to reach his upper
thighs) was "inauthentic" because it was so much
longer than anyone else's in the film. Of course,
that's Rodney's real hair, but one *could* make such
an argument. If one were an idiot, that is.

What I'm waiting for is for a similar idiot to claim
that "Avatar" is anti-semitic because it portrays
the savages as Bluish.  :-)  :-)  :-)