> I am not so much replying to any of the thoughtful
> comments in this thread as I am reusing the Subject
> line because I like the word "disengaging."
>
> It's a long and fascinating process, and one of the
> most challenging aspects of it is disengaging not
> just from contact with the organization you no
> longer feel an affinity with, but disengaging from
> *assumptions* that organization taught you that
> still color your thinking.
>
> For example, I've known former TMers who "left the
> fold" physically but who have never left the mindset.
> Their *reason* for leaving TM was in some cases a
> lack of profound experiences in meditation. But when
> I suggest to them that they try another form of
> meditation and describe it to them, they say, "Oh no,
> I could never do that. That's *concentration*."

Funny thing is I disengaged from the dogma long before
I left the building. They always said you don't have to
change your beliefs on anything so I didn't, it was quite
a laugh when I said I didn't believe a word of it. But
we got along well so I stayed around and I'd never try
and put anyone else off what they were into so it was
cool. But the scorpionland debacle followed by the "raja"
embarassment was too much. I couldn't stay in case people
thought I approved! I guess everyone has a limit on what
they would put up with. Fun while it lasted...