I am not so much replying to any of the thoughtful
comments in this thread as I am reusing the Subject
line because I like the word "disengaging."

It's a long and fascinating process, and one of the
most challenging aspects of it is disengaging not
just from contact with the organization you no
longer feel an affinity with, but disengaging from
*assumptions* that organization taught you that
still color your thinking.

For example, I've known former TMers who "left the
fold" physically but who have never left the mindset.
Their *reason* for leaving TM was in some cases a
lack of profound experiences in meditation. But when
I suggest to them that they try another form of
meditation and describe it to them, they say, "Oh no,
I could never do that. That's *concentration*."

See what I'm getting at? While they have walked away
from the practice of TM, they have never examined or
walked away from the basic assumptions about meditation
it taught them. Concentration, to them, is almost by
definition BAD, or "contrary to the natural tendency
of the mind," or "lesser" than "effortlessness." It
can take such a person a decade or more before they
are willing to even *try* a form of meditation that
was demonized by their TM teachers. And when they do,
often they find that what had been described to them
by their TM teachers was FALSE, and that they have
much deeper and more profound experiences as a result
of practicing the thing they had been taught was BAD.

As another example, I know people who walked away
from the Rama trip, and no longer consider him
enlightened. They're off searching madly for a "real"
enlightened teacher. So I ask them, "What are your
*criteria* for an enlightened teacher? How will you
recognize one when you meet him or her?" And they look
at me with a straight face and give me the "definition"
of enlightenment that was taught to them by Rama. They
left *him* behind, but they never once challenged the
dogma he taught them.

I hope Curtis chimes in on this thread more. He has
done a lot of conscious work on figuring out what the
dogma or epistemology he had been taught along the way
*is*, and examining how much of it is actually true.

What I'm suggesting is that "disengaging" from the org-
anization is not the same thing as "disengaging" from
its dogma. Many do the former but never the latter. How
many former TMers do you know who, if asked whether
meditation must be performed sitting with eyes closed,
would unhesitatingly answer, "Of course!"

Thing is...that's not true. Many forms of meditation
are performed with eyes open. Many do not require you
to sit or remain inactive while practicing them.

To be free of everyday interaction with a spiritual
organization is one form of "disengaging." But have
you really "disengaged" if you've never challenged
the basic, core assumptions it taught you to see if
you still consider them to be true?