--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "WillyTex" <willy...@...> wrote:

> > > on Judgement Day.  Would be uncomforatble being in
> > > Turq's or Curt's shoes.  Especially Curt's being a
> > > spiritual quitter.
> > >
> Curtis:
> > So who is the "quitter" now?
> >
> <snip>
> >
> So, you "quit" selling the snake oil. That makes you
> a "quitter".

So let me guess you still wear diapers because you don't want to be a
diaper-shitter quitter.

You stayed with the first woman you told "I love you" for the rest of your life.

Your favorite food is still S'mores cuz that is what you loved at scout camp.

But how many doses of snake oil did you
> sell before you quit - that's the question. If it
> was just one, for a month or two, I can understand.

As many as it took to understand that meditation was being oversold as a
panacea to all life's problems when it was a decent relaxation technique
dressed in drag as the "highest teaching."

> But, to go on and on for years and years selling the
> stuff is just beyond me. Some people are just slow
> learners, I guess. But, there's a disconnect here:

Not as slow as some it seems...

> Who would you believe:
>
> Someone standing on the corner, who said no big blue
> bus just drove by,
>
> or,
>
> A large group of people, standing on the same corner,
> who said that a big blue bus just drove by.

I don't think you want to invoke consensus opinion here do you?  Oh you do, OK,
how many people still believe Maharishi had the solution to all problems
compared to the number who don't buy it?  This is not the best proof system but
you chose it.

> But you guys, if you are to be believed, are talking
> like you have no shame. That's why I'm not buying
> into your excuses.

I have no reason for shame or need for excuses.  I taught TM as long as I
believed in it an stopped when I didn't.  I also no longer believe that Tina
Louise as "Ginger" on Gilligan's Island was the hottest chick ever. (She wasn't
even the hottest chick on the island, it was Mary Ann but you need to have the
life experience of banging both types of chicks to know that.)  It is called
human growth.

> But, I have a theory: I think you are making all this
> stuff up about the snake oil criminals.
>
> You're trying to get me to take your proposition and
> to take it to an extreme, in order to show that any
> proposition, when taken to extremes, will be found
> to be self-contradictory.

The only guy taking a proposition to the extreme in this example was Maharishi
who was pitching a well taught relaxation technique as the solution to world
peace.

> You probably DO appreciate a simple marriage ceremony,
> and you'd probably give gifts and wish the bride and
> groom good luck.

Got me there, I sure do.

> Hugo probably will NOT turn himself in to the ethics
> squad as a confessed criminal, even though, by his
> account, he is guilty as shit.

What is shit guilty of?  It is pure humility IMO.  The lowest  most humble
thing in the world is whale shit.  Have some respect.

> And the Turq probably STILL believes in a soul-monad!

Kinda got me stumped on this one, kind of rhythms with gonad but I'm not
feeling quite that juvenile right now.

You seem kinda wound up with nowhere to go Richard. Do you really care which
beliefs I choose and reject compared to the many that you choose and reject?
Aren't we really more similar than different in this way, neither of us
strapping on bombs to meet our 72 virgins?  So who cares if you think Guru Dev
was a special guy and I think he needed a baloney sandwich from the mobile food
wagon?

And the argument that I used to think one way when I was much younger but now
think differently is a bit worn around the collar dude.  Haven't you been
learning as you go along?  Ever change your mind with more information?  Not so
much?  Oh...OK...then rant on if you must.