There are not more Earhquakes than in the past, but the world's
population is much bigger than half a century ago, so humans are going
to notice them, because humans are now everywhere, and with with mass
communication as well.

Those storms you had in the US are nothing.

OffWorld

--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com
<mailto:FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com> , tartbrain <no_re...@...> wrote:

> (resend, original did not appear to post)
>
> I am not a doomsdayer.
>
> However, for me, the 8.8 quake in Chile takes us to the outer range of
"normal flow of events" -- or at least gives me pause to consider that
something outside the pattern of normality.

> I had been thinking that the Haiti quake seemed really close in time,
seismically, to the 2008 China quake (8.0) in 2008, and the tsnunami
quake of 2004 (9.1). Now with Chile 8.8 quake just a month after Haiti
-- we have got four of the larger of recorded quakes in just 6 years --
and the interval appears accelerating -- rapidly. Chile is 500 times
larger (energy wise) than Haiti. It's 15 times larger than the 1906 SF
earthquake.

> The Chile and Haiti quakes occurring in a time of the largest world
recession and unemployment in 80 years and unprecedented housing price
declines -- and a financial crises 12-18 months ago that crises that
took us to the edge. Congress is in a devastating deadlock. States are
near bankrupt. Some nations (PIGS and all) are near insolvency. And the
federal deficit is so vastly large which could potentially lead to a
sustained deflationary period -- what the Japanese have endured for
several decades now -- and/or with intervals of hyper inflation (driven
by the deficits and increase in money supply, etc).

> Structural underemployment could last for a decade or more.
> Look what chronic high unemployment has done to the inner cities. A
new social order and vastly changed cultural landscape whereby, amongst
many other parallel potential transitions, we could see  millions of
(former) soccer moms selling meth to feed the kids and keep the house
heated (and the house out of foreclosure). It's not an unthinkable
scenario

> Glaciers 1000s of years in the making are rapidly melting. We have had
8 very large crippling storms this winter -- formerly one might occur in
a decade.

> Its difficult to place all of these events in context. We have seen
huge transformations in our lifetimes including such transformations in
many areas -- the breakup of the Soviet Union and Eastern Europe, the PC
and internet come to mind. And past ages have seen huge change and rapid
transformations -- for the good and for the bad. But with so many
contemporary extreme events occurring, with increasing frequency makes
me ponder what's going on?