--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Hugo" <fintlewoodle...@...> wrote:

Interesting article.  From her description of herself I think she is a great
candidate for meditation.  Her impulsiveness needs a little dissociation to
allow her time to reflect a bit before going off.

The kind of person who I believe does not benefit is already a bit checked out
and dissociated. (I am in this group.)  I was a fantastic meditator in that I
had great "experiences" and loved it, could do it for hours.  But more
dissociation is not the way for me to function at my best.  That doesn't mean
that short doses are out of the question but a little goes a long way for me.

Some people get themselves good and dissociated from meditation but become
hypersensitive to the environment and become pissy.  When I was a teacher I was
to sensitive for my own good.  I couldn't just hunker down in a Vietnamese soup
kitchen and ignore people smoking and enjoy my lunch.  I still hate smoke but
now I can choose to STFU about it.  The teaching around meditation encourages a
perfectionist standard which in Rational Emotive Therapy can result in a low
frustration tolerance. I used to see that a lot in the movement.

So for me meditation is not a cure all for humanity.  And we don't really know
much about its long term effects.  But for some people I can see how it would
be life changing to not react impulsively through the mental shift brought
about through meditation.  And I suspect the benefits are not necessarily
cumulative, you might get most of what you are going to get quickly.

But once they get hooked on the idea that meditating makes them grow in
"enlightenment" and they will know everything about life as Maharishis claimed,
then that perspective makes me want to go shout at a bus!