Hugo wrote:

> A rather irritating Guardian journalist goes in search of inner
> peace.....
>
> http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2010/apr/08/tanya-gold-meditation
> <http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2010/apr/08/tanya-gold-meditatio\
> n>
>
> >From my own experience I'll say that TM does not prevent anger, there
> are no shortage of stroppy, short fused people in the TMO. The only
> reason I don't count myself among there number is that I retain a bit of
> self awareness and can hold it back until I've rationalised whether
> someone deserves a good kicking or not.
>
> In fact it was one of the great surprises to me that TM made me very
> angry indeed and quite a lot of the time, last thing I expected given
> the literature. Shame I was never asked to be in a study about it's
> effects, might have swayed the figures a bit.
>
> So what causes anger in meditators? Is it unstressing or an imbalance
> somewhere or the release of repressed urges and the revealing of my
> "true" self? Or am I just a miserable git who wants to destroy the
> world?
>
> Maybe TM is unsuitable for some people and we'd be better off doing a
> different, less fraught, type.

If the meditation technique were cooling and calming then one would be
less likely to anger.  TM is not necessarily that kind of technique.
But on the other hand if there is genuine frustration with society or
lame people then the anger can be justified.  It can be disturbing to a
meditator which it comes completely out of the blue.  And there is a lot
to be frustrated with in our current times.