--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Rick Archer" <r...@...> wrote:
<snip>
> There seems to be a lot of speculation here. Doug (Buck)
> mentioned something about Bevin using the word "survive"
> and all of a sudden we're spinning out scenarios about
> the complete dismantlement of MUM, top people walking
> away with lots of cash, etc.

I was thinking exactly the same thing. This is the
kind of situation where Curtis's "epistemic humility"
mantra should be taken to heart.

This is all Buck said:

"Bevan insturcts faculty and staff that MUM is just to
survive, tighten up & Don't do anything new. This was
the mission laid out by Bevan the other day in tele
conferance meeting that he called in to from somewhere."

He doesn't even give us a source. Did he hear this from
someone who was *at* the meeting, or was it not
firsthand information? If not, how many people did it
go through? And how reliable are they?

Was it somebody's *impression* of what Bevan was saying,
or did Bevan make it explicit?

> Does anyone know if MUM is actually in more serious
> financial trouble than it has usually been over the years?

Even if we assume Buck's report accurately represents
what Bevan said, how many organizations/businesses--
including universities--in the past couple of years do
we suppose have had a similar "mission" laid out for
them as the appropriate approach to weathering the
recession, to keep them *out* of serious financial
trouble, to *ensure* their survival?

That said, that MUM is on the way out is a perfectly
reasonable speculation. Even the notion that folks will
be walking away with the profits isn't all that
unreasonable. But based on how little we actually *know*,
we could with equal justification speculate that MUM was
in a position to get through the economic slump as long
as it was careful with its finances; and that nobody was
planning to enrich themselves with ill-gotten gains.