The Unadorned Thread of Yoga

  [Unadorned Thread of Yoga - front cover]
<http://www.yogasutras.net/bookdemo/index.html>                    The
Yoga-Sutra of Patañjali in English
by Salvatore Zambito      International Orders
Price: $49.95 USD + shipping

Review:

Yoga Journal <http://www.yogajournal.com/>  — June, 2007
When you study a Sanskrit text like Patañjali's Yoga Sutra,  you're
forced to rely, for the most part, on an English translation.
Unfortunately, most of the Sutra's Sanskrit words can't be directly
translated into English. As a result, rendered manuscripts seem
somewhat flat relative to Patañjali's original passages.      One
solution is to compare several translations so that the text's  fuller
meaning is gradually revealed through different interpretations.
The problem is, you can end up flipping tediously back and forth
through a tall stack of books.

Fortunately, Salvatore Zambito, a yoga teacher since 1968  from
Washington State, has devised an almost perfect solution to this
dilemma.               In this, his first book, he has collected a dozen
translations of the sutras, or threads of knowledge, published between
1890 and 1995.               The translators' commentaries that usually
accompany the  sutras in other volumes have been eliminated, thus making
the sutras  "unadorned."

In Zambito's collection, each sutra includes the original  Sanskrit with
its English transliteration and the breakdown of the  individual
Sanskrit words into their constituent elements,               followed
by 12 English interpretations. For example, sutra  I.2, which defines
yoga as citta-vrtti-nirodha, has several  interpretations, including
citta as "thinking principle" or  "consciousness";               vrtti
as "thought-waves" or "activities"; nirodha  as "cessation," "quieting,"
"suppression," or "subjugation."

The translations are as diverse as the scholars who wrote  them: Georg
Feuerstein, Vyaas Houston, and Swami Veda Bharati (formerly  Pandit
Arya),               who wrote the foreword to the book; distinguished
swamis  Vivekananda and Satchidananda; Theosophist sympathizers Alice A.
Bailey  and M.N. Dvivedi. Along with its informative essays in the
appendixes,               this book is an essential reference for
serious Yoga  Sutra students. Let's hope that volume 2, with
translations made  since 1995, is coming soon.

— Richard Rosen