--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "whynotnow7" <whynotnow7@...> wrote:

> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "wayback71" <wayback71@> wrote:
> >

> > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Sal Sunshine <salsunshine@> wrote:

> > > Was that one in the summer?  The last one I took, shortly
> > > before leaving and moving to FF, was in the winter~~forget
> > > now which hotel.
> >
> > Yes, it was the summer, the course I was on.  It was held at some
> > humongous, sprawling hotel that I think was called the Omni Shoreham or
> > something like that.
> <snip>
>
> Yep - same one. That's where I got my room assignment. I don't recall going
> over there for anything else, but didn't stick around.
>
> Once I moved to California, I went to the TM center here a few times, met
> John Black, of the Black and Decker fortune (now Raja John Bright), who
> seemed like a normal enough guy at the time. I even donated a small amount of
> $$ to the local center, but my involvement was done and I gradually lost all
> contact.

I remember John Black from various courses - very handsome and seemed really
really nice, too. I guess a real devotee.

> I am still on their e-mailing list, but haven't visited the TM center since
> the mid-90's, having lost my appetite for any sort of dedicated spiritual
> activity with a group - regular old life itself provides more than enough
> interest, opportunities and challenges for growth. A relief not having to
> deal with all of that anymore. No more us and them, just us. :-)

Yes, life does offer enough.  I loved much of the stuff about being in or
connected to the TMO.  But the negatives were not pleasant at all.  I think
almost all organizations that are religious or spiritual have major challenges,
especially when they are young and trying to get established.  There is so much
room for fraud and greed and snobbery and manipulation.  The TMO is right in
there despite what I perceived as really great people by and large, a fine
technique, basically good teachings.  I think second and third generation
East-West groups may stand more of a chance of being decent since they can see
what to keep and what to try very hard to avoid.  The TMO was right there at
the beginning, and we were all so young and maleable.