--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Alex Stanley"
<j_alexander_stanley@...> wrote:

> I'm not selling anything. I stated an opinion based on my observations
of having lived in FF for almost 29 years. In the TM world,
enlightenment is always this exalted state of future perfection that
requires endless years of doing program twice a day. The TM model of
tiptoeing around sleeping elephants perfectly demonstrates the TM world
escapism of not being here now and directly addressing what is. A few
years ago, the Hare Krishnas paraded around the farmers market, handing
out pamphlets. I looked at one, and it was all about how we need to be
celibate vegetarians and chant the maha-mantra so that we can have
better lives in future incarnations. Other traditions are focused on
cultivating futures full of esoteric experiences, rainbow bodies, states
of samadhi, etc. Which is not to say that self-improvement is wrong, but
it can be every bit an awakening-obstructing attachment as sex, food,
drugs, money, etc.

Well yes that's true but I wouldn't associate this behavior with the
true essence of  the Eastern spirituality which is well captured in
scriptures like Tripura Rahasya which makes clear that the outer doesn't
have any relation to the inner. It describes a city full of jivanmuktas
engaged in their daily activity according to their samskara and dharma.
Its quite for a common for seekers to make enlightenment in to an
achievement or a goal and into confusing outer spiritual disciplines to
be indicative of the inner transformation but I would never say this is
all Eastern Spirituality is about. The life-abnegating focus of Hinduism
is only of a more modern origin with the likes of Buddhism,
Gandhi/Catholics and the like. The only complete avatar in Hinduim is
Lord Krishna who enjoyed life in its all glory.