"...when you die the anguish
can be  greater than the stings
of thousands of scorpions."

~~ Guru Dev [MMY's teacher, Shankaracharya Swami Brahmananda Saraswati]

This  teaching [extended below] from Guru Dev is likely where Maharishi
got the idea that death [separation from the body upon its death] for
the 'unenlightened' is extremely painful.

While the idea is promulgated by a few in some of the the eastern
traditions, I have been unsuccessful in locating any specific
authenticated and/or generally accepted authoritative scripture that
specifically states it.

Further, in the currently extensively available near death experience
NDE research and its subsequently narrated contact with so-called dead
humans in the spirit worlds, there IS frequent mention of an afterlife
review of one's lifetime which can be painful in some respects - but no
descriptions of the pain of the actual separation from the body such as
described by Guru Dev or MMY.

Making the mistake of being worldly/transmigrated then you have to fall
again and again.
In taking birth there is suffering; much more suffering there is at the
time of dying. In the Shastras it is said that when you die the anguish
can be greater than the stings of thousands of scorpions. If one
scorpion stings it is torment to endure the pain. If thousands of
scorpions sting then guess what may be the torment of the period of
demise.
The pains of birth/death are additional to those of our lifetimes, which
are without end. Without Ishwar (God) it is impossible to become
released from this. Making the mistake of being worldly/transmigrated
then you have to fall again and again. You should argue against desires
that are impure and afterwards should have only one strong desire for
getting God. You will not progress until this desire has become stronger
than any other.
[Shri Shankaracharya UpadeshAmrita kaNa 10 of 108]
<http://www.paulmason.info/gurudev/UA_Hindi.htm#kaNa_10>
>From the:
108 Discourses of Guru Dev, Shankaracharya Swami Brahmananda Saraswati
Available here: http://www.paulmason.info/gurudev/upadesh.htm

--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "wgm4u" <wgm4u@...> wrote:

> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, maskedzebra no_reply@ wrote:
>

> > RESPONSE: Transcending in TM, does it mean the actual individual
flesh and bones human being stops existing? What possible relevance does
transcending in TM have to do with dying

> Transcending is 'conscious' dying, though the body still retains its
vivifying principles (pranas) allowing the soul (jiva) to re-enter it.

> In final death the 'silver cord' is snapped, severing the portal of
prana resulting in death. In transcending the silver cord remains in
tact.