"MMY: When an ordinary man leaves his body it's a very great pain. When a
realized man leaves the body it's the experience of greatest happiness-bliss.

maskedzebra: Wrong. Maharishi has no direct or verifiable knowledge of this."

Yet another opinion:

Hi maskedzebra (I am assuming Grevy's...), Direct knowledge and verifiable
knowledge are two different things. So Maharishi, or anyone else, could have
had direct knowledge of leaving his physical body, and describing it so, but it
is unverifiable, so we have a choice to believe it or not, possibly based on
our own direct and unverifiable experiences.

To reject it out of hand because it is not verifiable is an unwise thing to do.
On the one hand, you have definitively solved "the problem" by now creating a
story from your own experiences that negates Maharishi's. On the other hand,
you are giving yourself no choice but to accept your story over his, closing
off the avenue of exploration regarding a possible association between TM and
bodily death.

Unfortunately this is the danger that comes from examining relics, whether in
writing or otherwise. We are presented with this succinct, meaningful, and very
limited quote of Maharishi's from 1968, without any context as to why he said
it, or when, or about what. Certainly no opportunity for a follow up question.

We then create an absolute of it, and create all of these ideas and
associations, like looking through a pin hole and imagining the universe.

Experience can never be defeated by logic, only enriched through subsequent
experience. Perhaps a useful corollary to his words about TM and dropping the
body is that other well known phrase of his, "Take it easy, take it as it
comes".