--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "PaliGap" <compost1uk@...> wrote:

> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, maskedzebra
> <no_reply@> wrote:
>
> > Imagine presenting this idea to the doctors at The
> > Harvard Medical School—or to Socrates—or to Wittgenstein...
>
> Here you go again RC - coercing those Western big guns into
> your hockey team. (Why do you try to do that?).
>
> Are we also permitted to try to imagine what, say,
> Wittgenstein, would have made of this piece of dogma? (take
> your pick of Wittgenstein 1.0 or 2.0):
>
> "There is no safety in meeting one's Creator. How did I first
> come to exist as the person that I am? In death we meet the
> author of our life—not the author of our transcendental
> consciousness; we meet the author of the person that we are"
> RC, FFL 2011
>
> Wittgenstein:
> "Death is not an event in life: we do not live to experience
> death. If we take eternity to mean not infinite temporal
> duration but timelessness, then eternal life belongs to those
> who live in the present. Our life has no end in just the way
> in which our visual field has no limits'' - Tractatus Logico-
> Philosophicus
>
> Socrates:
> "For anything that men can tell, death may be the greatest
> good that can happen to them but they fear it as if they knew
> quite well that it was the greatest of evils".
>
> What MMY had to say about death might be thought to fit quite
> well with that. Viz."...by gaining familiarity with that level
> of your being that is beyond corporeal, you may be able to
> free yourself to some extent from this unnecessary fear". Not
> unlike the way a modern-day allergy sufferer may be invited to
> very gently, and in tiny, tiny steps, expose themselves to the
> allergen that discomforts them. And just as in this case, it
> is not the allergen 'per se' that is the health problem,
> rather it's the panic in the immune system that creates the
> damage, I find it not unreasonable, and not so obviously
> unscientific as you assert, that our suffering in death might
> be similarly alleviated. If, that is to say, we could avoid
> the panic in our biology that is probably triggered when death
> approaches.
>
> Then again Socrates might have wished a plague on both your
> houses (RC & MMY) for excessive 'knowing':
>
> "And what is this but that shameful ignorance of thinking that
> we know what we do not know?"

I don't have the exact quote but Maharishi once said that if man knew the
detail process of death and birth, he would not mind death and fear birth.

A few hours of dying, having the senses removed and all that, especially if you
are habituated to loosing everything during real meditations anyway is nothing
compared to having to spend 9 months in a dark and damp place only to be pushed
out through a slimy, bloodful channel into a place full of bright lights where
the people babble in a language you don't even understand.

I can die anytime. But being born, not so much.