I think you may be onto something, nostalgia is a powerful drug and I am no
stranger to its charms.  I found this last post to be even more confusing with
its deadpan delivery of actual beliefs within the character. I believe he may
have lost himself in this new identity.

Your excellent story reminds me of a reported scene in some foreign airport in
Europe before a course.  An initiator was wandering around lost until a
European man came up to him and asked "are you with the TM people."  He
responded "how did you know" undoubtedly hoping for some recognition for his
special appearance due to he cherished inner state.

"Because you look clean and lost like all the others!"