--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, tartbrain <no_reply@...> wrote:
> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Vaj <vajradhatu@> wrote:

> > Having said that, practicing Dzogchen atiyoga for a sufficient amount a
> > time as to gain certainty in the direct, non-conventional experience of the
> > natural state is the best way I know to gain recognition of it in others,
> > but even that depends on the peculiar mix of obscurations of the people
> > involved.

> Recognizing the natural state in others and all is natural. If you recognize
> the natural state at some times, in some people, in some things, but at other
> times see appearances  other than the natural state, perhaps that is a
> reflection of obscurations.

> When you see Robin as natural state, is its nature LoveBliss?

If you are in your natural state, everything is in its natural state. That is
always from the POV of one's own body. While everyone is perceived to be in
their natural state, those other bodies may not be noticing that from their
POV. Finding out if those other bodies are experiencing their natural state
from their POV is more involved, because first of all they have to describe
what they are experiencing. If they say they are seeking their natural state,
then obviously they are not there yet, as an experience. It is another matter
if they are claiming enlightenment. tartbrain I think is right in saying that
if you are in the natural state, that is the only thing you can experience, but
it does not necessarily mean the body that seems to house that experience is
omniscient.

Suppose we have a great master. What can they tell? Is it possible to fool a
master? The master-disciple relationship is almost always under certain
controlled conditions, in which the master's position in the relationship is
clearly delineated. Supposing you run into such a master on the street never
having seen him or her before, and have no idea who that person is. You strike
up a conversation. Who can tell what about what state each is in? I have no
idea what the answer to this question might be.

P.S. What does it mean to say (as Vaj did above) 'to gain certainty in the
direct, non-conventional experience of the natural state', is this a reference
to the natural state not being a typical experience for people, that it is thus
uncommon? The natural state could never be non-conventional in another meaning
because it is the only state of existence, and in that meaning, totally
conventional. There is nothing special to do to have the natural state except
getting rid of the illusions you have about what it is. A spiritual path is a
special kind of illusion, one that unwinds itself in the end, and vanishes. If
you are still on the path, you can guess where you are not.