Essentially, the prana (kundalini serpent fire) must be awakened and rise to
the 6th and 7th chakra for enlightenment to occur. Whether that is done through
mantra meditation OR concentration (like Patanjali taught) is secondary, both
work according to Swami Yogananda, he believes concentration is more effective
because it deals directly with the prana (pranaYama=prana control).

Prana is the life link that connects the astral body with the physical body,
before the consciousness can expand it must be released from being 'trapped' in
the physical body, these 'trap doors' are the chakras.

The prana (and the consciousness which is it's counterpart) is trapped in the
physical body due to Attachments....lust, anger and greed to name a few. That
is why some proficiency in the Yama and Niyamas are necessary before the
serpent fire can awaken (Yoga is both the MEANS AND the end).