"I don't think I buy that with regard to honesty. Surely differences in
awareness account for whether a person believes there is *justification* for
saying something they know to be false, but you really can't make much of a
case that nobody ever attempts to deceive others."

Thanks Judy. Yes, of course you are right about deliberate deception being a
reality. However, the thing I have been thinking about is how if someone is
ignorant of their true nature, their attempts to deceive others are based on an
attempt to find peace within themselves, strengthening a reality that
substitutes for true self knowledge. Even though the deception appears designed
for others, it is really an attempt to compensate for a lack of comprehension
of one's motives, feelings and reactions.

The edifice for others is purposefully built, but not primarily for the others.
It is built to reflect a comfortable story that substitutes for self-knowledge.

This being the case, until someone knows themselves, the only other choice is
to be what you are calling dishonest. Everything is done in support of the ego.
It is the nature of the beast. How can someone be true to a part of themselves
they know little to nothing about?