--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "marekreavis" <reavismarek@...> wrote:

> Sorry to hear of your stroke, Buck, glad to know that you came out on the
> other side. I would be interested to hear how your experiences with that
> relate to your concepts re awakening.
>
> You are obviously not in a position to speak knowledgeably about my life,
> however.
>
> ***
>
> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Buck" <dhamiltony2k5@> wrote:

> > > I too like Jill Bolte Taylor's insights because it is kept simple and
> > > clear.  If I were in a contrary mood, I might ask if we have to destroy
> > > something to get that experience.  And not just by a stroke, but my
> > > modifying how the brain functions.  I don't think so, but the question is
> > > reasonable. One reason I think that these awakened states are a good
> > > thing is when I think back to the sense of unity and light that seemed to
> > > permeate my childhood years, I think that was really good and that was
> > > and is a flavor of awakening.  I do think you are right that all these
> > > concepts of enlightenment can just cloud the waters, create
> > > misconceptions and lead people to intensely look in all sorts of
> > > directions and buy all sorts of stuff - and miss the point.  Personally,
> > > I find it a challenge to drop the whole MMY rubric.  Guess that' one
> > > reason I can get hung up on the brain functioning.
> > > >

> > I had the exact same experiences as her, same scenario and outcome.  Big
> > time.  It was extremely enlightening in that it was illuminating but I
> > would not just wish a stroke on anyone for all the possibilities of how it
> > can go to push the energy centers of the faculties around.  Fortunately we
> > both got enough of a whole back working that we can live on pretty well and
> > even talk about it.  But the perspective was illuminating spiritually along
> > the way.
> >
> > However, en lieu of having a stroke there is certainly spiritual practice
> > that can be done if one has the discipline to do it.  I'd recommend
> > pursuing that also because now the science is showing that it (spiritual
> > practice) indeed does change and enhance how a brain can work.  An aware
> > person of modern spirituality and science certainly can sit up and have the
> > experience.  If only by the science, people should take the time to come to
> > meditation and not just talk or just write about it as an idea. Take the
> > time in the practice.  It is different than surfing.
> >
> > -Buck

Buck, I must have missed the info that you had a stroke.  Welcome back.  I too
would like to hear about your experience if you ever want to describe it.  Yes,
science is showing that meditation is really a good thing.  I am reading
Newberg's How God Changes Your Brain.  Really, the book is not just about God
or religion,  seems to be about how meditation, the idea of God, thinking about
anything abstract and uplifiting (even science) has similar beneficial effects
on the the brain.  Belief/religion/being part of a community,ritual all have
good effects.  And the brain is really malleable.  The authors do seem to find
that different techniques have different effects, but also that in general,
most meditations are similar in their action on the brain.   I have lots more
to read and will get into some specifics when I am done.  I am sure that your
years of meditating are an important aspect of your recovery.  Take care.