--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Susan" <wayback71@...> wrote:

> > > I had the exact same experiences as her, same scenario and outcome.  Big
> > > time.  It was extremely enlightening in that it was illuminating but I
> > > would not just wish a stroke on anyone for all the possibilities of how
> > > it can go to push the energy centers of the faculties around.
> > > Fortunately we both got enough of a whole back working that we can live
> > > on pretty well and even talk about it.  But the perspective was
> > > illuminating spiritually along the way.
> > >
> > > However, en lieu of having a stroke there is certainly spiritual practice
> > > that can be done if one has the discipline to do it.  I'd recommend
> > > pursuing that also because now the science is showing that it (spiritual
> > > practice) indeed does change and enhance how a brain can work.  An aware
> > > person of modern spirituality and science certainly can sit up and have
> > > the experience.  If only by the science, people should take the time to
> > > come to meditation and not just talk or just write about it as an idea.
> > > Take the time in the practice.  It is different than surfing.
> > >
> > > -Buck

> Buck, I must have missed the info that you had a stroke.  Welcome back.  I
> too would like to hear about your experience if you ever want to describe it.
>  Yes, science is showing that meditation is really a good thing.  I am
> reading Newberg's How God Changes Your Brain.  Really, the book is not just
> about God or religion,  seems to be about how meditation, the idea of God,
> thinking about anything abstract and uplifiting (even science) has similar
> beneficial effects on the the brain.  Belief/religion/being part of a
> community,ritual all have good effects.  And the brain is really malleable.
> The authors do seem to find that different techniques have different effects,
> but also that in general, most meditations are similar in their action on the
> brain.   I have lots more to read and will get into some specifics when I am
> done.  I am sure that your years of meditating are an important aspect of
> your recovery.  Take care.

Yeah, it is interesting.  In my experience with it, to have more full Self
realization it is way more than just transcending of the mind or mental
activity, meditating.  Meditating is the start of the work.  Waking is also
much more dependent on a stabilized and lit energy system. Many are the chakras
of the subtle that are in the grey matter of the brain and the central nervous
system. The mortal faculties are chakra fields themselves and then there is the
process of the whole energy system taken together which houses and reflects an
individuation of a soul.

As the injury of my stroke itself and then the brain surgery made for a swollen
and sore brain the different faculties got pushed around and tampered with. And
it was very evident where in the grey matter different mental functions would
happen.  As it happened in my case, the reference of a self and then a soul in
it all never got lost.  A lot pops out by contrast when mental things don't
work like before or malfunction and you watch it all happen.  For quite a while
I was very aware of where mental functions were happening within a sore brain
by contrast.

Through out the stroke and recovery, in my case, I never lost critical witness
or self-awareness as a soul.  But that too reflects variably as the subtle
system works well or decays.  Different parts of the energy bodies will spin
and turn on or dim out and a lot of time for no apparent reason.  It is like
there is a decay in the rotation of a chakra and and the reflectivity of the
self dims out.  With a little attending to it can start up again, fluoresce and
integrate with everything else again and well-being returns.  Sitting with the
saints and some healers can be real good at working with that as the underlying
process of well-being of it all.  Adya Shanti has an excellent teaching point
of view of talking about abiding and un-abiding waking similar to this.  That
makes a lot of sense to me by my experience.  And evidently this kind of
spiritual well-being is definitely something that can be worked and cultivated.
 Science is getting closer to understanding it too.
-Buck down on the farm