--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Emily Reyn <emilymae.reyn@...> wrote:

<snip>
> I don't care where or how often the photo was posted - I find it horrific,
> period.  I looked at it out of context and I'm glad it's deleted.  It hurts
> to look at it. But, remember, I'm nowhere near where Xeno is staying in my
> "left brain" so to speak, which is how his text comes across on his reaction
> to the photo.  Triggers?  Excuse me?  We are talking about one of our own
> species committing suicide in front of us.  It's painful to see.

It has happened again just recently (I am not posting the photo).

NEW DELHI â€" A Tibetan exile who set himself on fire [March 26, 2012] in India
to protest a visit by China's president died Wednesday, while hundreds of other
activists were being detained.

Jamphel Yeshi, 27, set himself alight Monday at a demonstration in New Delhi.
He ran screaming past other protesters and the media before falling to the
ground, his clothing partly disintegrated and nearly his entire body covered in
burns.

"Martyr Jamphel Yeshi's sacrifice will be written in golden letters in the
annals of our freedom struggle," said Dhondup Lhadar, an activist with the
Tibetan Youth Congress. "He will live on to inspire and encourage the future
generations of Tibetans."

Self immolation never seems to serve the purpose that its practitioners seem to
think it will accomplish. While Judy felt that Nabby's post trivialised the
death of that previously misguided Tibetan I think the behaviour of these
people trivialises their own lives. Rather than making people think deeply
about the situation they are trying to underline with their bold display, they
usually just create a shock in the nervous systems of those that manage to hear
about it, see images of it, etc.

Somewhere inside the ego says 'That could be "me"', and with that, whatever
message was to be conveyed by the incendiary performance gets lost in an
experience of fear generated in the observers as they feel their own mortality.
Except as an afterthought, this does not inspire people, it weakens them by
undermining their comfort zone rather than inspiring them to pursue their goal,
and in the process eliminates one protester. It is not like a courageous march
in the face of an enemy attempting to bring the enemy down, it is sacrificing
oneself needlessly which is a benefit to the enemy.

> Barry, from a distance, you must realize how angry you sound.  Do you ever
> try read your posts with any objectivity?  Go have yourself a good
> cry..you'll feel better and less paranoid.

In the year I have been on this forum, Barry's style has been pretty
consistent. I do not experience his writing as angry, it is too automatic for
that. I sense Judy gets angry, but I also feel she has a wider range of
intellectual interests than Barry. She shows a lot more passion than Barry.
Barry is far more calculating, I do not think he is being led on by his
emotions to the extent that you are implying.

On forums as elsewhere, alliances form, dissolve, depending on what we like or
dislike, or are interested in at the moment. For example Vaj, Barry, Curtis,
which some here equate with the godhead of evil, are three very distinct
personalities. Curtis is the most down to earth from what I can tell, and the
most interactive of the three. Vaj is kind of secretive, so I find it hard to
tell what he is about. And Barry is a kind of mystery too, but I see him
playing the cat to the mouse on the forum, but he actually does not seem
interested in the kill, just in pushing the button and observing the result.

Now Judy is interested in the kill when her passion is up but sometimes I think
her arguments are more about syntax than the content. But I do not want to
over-generalize.

If we are heated up by this photo that Nabby posted, maybe we can take a moment
of silence in the wake of those unfortunate departed. The silence is not for
them, or even in memory of them - they are gone - the silence is for us, to
re-establish who we are in relation to a world that sometimes changes more and
in more ways than we would prefer.