--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Emily Reyn <emilymae.reyn@...> wrote:

> <snip>
> "If we are heated up by this photo that Nabby posted, maybe we can take a
> moment of silence in the wake of those unfortunate departed. The silence is
> not for them, or even in memory of them - they are gone - the silence is for
> us, to re-establish who we are in relation to a world that sometimes changes
> more and in more ways than we would prefer."
>

> Xeno, yes, we can do that...for me, the silence is for "them" and for "us"
>  - although technically yes, they are gone.  Their memory remains with
> those that knew them.  I agree with much that you said on that topic.  I do
> think that often, these types of decisions on a personal level have to do
> equally (at least) with desperation within the individual as well as perhaps
> reflecting a belief system brainwashing.  And then, the religious org
> capitalizes on the "shock factor" and manipulates it into a "message."   The
> decision to commit suicide is a desperate one, always, in my current frame of
> reference.
>
> I do perceive much of Barry's writing as "angry" when he goes on the
> offensive.  He uses numerous terms that denigrate women on a regular basis
> and *initiates* many posts that do nothing but put Judy or others down and/or
> include a pot shot that comes out of left field.  Not all of them, but
> today, it seemed like he was on a negative roll, so it occurred to me that he
> was having a bad day and needed to acknowledge that within himself.  Anger
> is usually just the external manifestation of a deeper feeling (dare I use
> that word)/belief.  I don't always personalize it, but I do sometimes in the
> context of my personal experience on this planet.
>
> I think Judy's comments are more often about the content and less often about
> the syntax. I do absolutely see Barry, Vaj, and Curtis as distinct
> personalities - not to say that there aren't similarities in their
> perspectives that come across on the text of FFL.  But, they are all the
> same gender after all, and I firmly believe in the idea that gender makes a
> difference in perception and perspective and delivery and etc. for 99.9% of
> the human population.

That gender difference is pretty wide spread in culture. Looking back on my
life, I get the feeling that men want women in their lives but do not want to
be inconvenienced by that, but it is always turns out more complicated than the
way we men generally think will happen. I think a lot of it is driven by a few
simple chemicals like testosterone, you alter those levels and vast differences
of experience occur.

I sometimes wonder if Curtis and Barry bailed out of the spiritual trip a bit
too early. The spiritual trip is a fraud. At a certain point, things stop
seeming to work, and the experiences one had been led to expect do not come.
But this is not the fraud. The experience that it is a fraud comes if the
spiritual trip succeeds and then you find out it is the ultimate fraud that you
were taken in by. But this does not embitter because it is the coolest joke to
ever to have been played by. But if you bail out too early, dissatisfied and
seemingly cursed by the failure, maybe it results in a lot of disgruntlement
with spiritual stuff. I have been disillusioned many times, but I stuck with
it. Even if you get the joke there is a lot of work to do.

A forum is really interesting, we talk about other people in the third person
as if they are out of earshot, but they get to read it all. Now that Emily,
she...