--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, azgrey <no_reply@...> wrote:

> > Yup. The "inexplainable season opener flashforward"
> > is now a well-known device on BB. The teddy bear in
> > the pool, which made no sense at all until the last
> > episode of the season, etc. I suspect we won't know
> > fersure why Walt is investing in such heavy iron
> > until the last of these 16 episodes. And that it'll
> > be a real trip getting there.
>
> Word.
>
> I'm down for any direction the writers wanna take it,
> but my intuition tells me that we are going to find out
> why the Cartel gave young Gustavo a pass when they killed
> and bled out his chemist partner in the swimming pool.
> It just feels like we are going to learn who it is in Chile
> that Juan Bolsa with the Juarez did not wish to offend.

I suspect you're right. I hadn't thought about the
"progression" thing from small crook (small fish)
to big crook (big fish), with Walt becoming more
and more of a predator as he breaks badder, but
it really works as a theme. So he's bound to meet
and have to deal with even bigger fish than Gus.

> Or not.
>
> I at least have faith that Vince Gilligan and his posse
> aren't planning on having Walt and Jesse picked up by a
> UFO or fade to black Soprano's style.

Not a chance. I'm envisioning more the last scene
from De Palma's version of "Scarface," with Walt
either going out in a blaze of glory wielding his
M60 or being the last one standing, saying "I won." :-)

> > > New Mexico is a beautiful land and truly Enchanted. I love it
> > > deeply. It exists in my very spirit and I return there
> > > regularly for refreshment.
> >
> > Gotta agree. I loved New Mexico, too. Albuquerque itself,
> > not so much, but the land...magnificent.
>
> Church.

Exactly.

> I generally avoid ABQ completely. It always struck me as another
> big uninteresting city with brown air. Might have to take a couple
> days and explore the neighborhoods a bit to give it more of a
> chance. September has been a good month in the past for me to begin
> a NM trek. I usually find myself so Enchanted that I get lost in
> the moment for a couple of months. Ideally, the weather is willing
> and I head over to the North Rim of the Grandest Canyon before the
> concessions close

North Rim is the best.

> then head north into the canyon lands of southern Utah <or Utawer
> if yas wanna blend in> and channel my inner Edward Abbey. It is
> amazing how friendly those Mormon girls can be. "Are ya happy to
> see me or is that a monkey wrench in your pocket?" I'm thinkin'
> its an evolutionary thang where the impulse to bring new genes
> into the pool overrides local mores.

I have had similar experiences. Nothin' like a little
religious repression to unlock the libido.

> Lucky me, but Samuel Langhorne Clemens would disagree, having once
> observed:
>
> "Our stay in Salt Lake City amounted to only two days.......
> <snip> I had the will to do it. With the gushing self-sufficiency
> of youth I was feverish to plunge in headlong and achieve a great
> reform here until I saw the Mormon women. Then I was touched. My
> heart was wiser than my head. It warmed toward these poor,
> ungainly and pathetically homely creatures, and as I turned to
> hide the generous moisture in my eyes, I said, No, the man that
> marries one of them has done an act of Christian charity which
> entitles him to the kindly applause of mankind,
> not their harsh censure and the man that marries sixty of them has
> done a deed of open-handed generosity so sublime that the nations
> should stand uncovered in his presence and worship in
> silence."
>
> Go figure.
>
> But I digress. ;-)

Great digression. I love Sam.

Thinking about New Mexico got me thinkin' about some of
my fave places there for a friend who is about to visit,
so I came up with the following short list of Places Of
Power I used to enjoy there. I share it with you, since
you're in the general neighborhood, and might be inter-
ested:

New Mexico

The Santa Fe labyrinth -- a full-sized copy of the labyrinth at Chartres,
outside at the Folk Art Museum, so you can walk it by moonlight. Fun.
http://www.internationalfolkart.org/visitors/labyrinth.html

Bandelier -- nice Anasazi site.
http://www.americansouthwest.net/new_mexico/bandelier/national_monument.html

Chaco -- the mother of all Anasazi sites, with buildings larger than the
Colusseum in Rome.
http://www.americansouthwest.net/new_mexico/chaco_culture/national_historical_park.html

Tsankawi -- a small site that many don't know about, part of the Bandelier Natl
Park complex. It used to be my closest Power Place to duck away to from Santa
Fe for a rejuvenating walk.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tsankawi

The haunted bar at La Posada, Santa Fe -- where I used to hang out. Good drink,
good people, and its own ghost.
http://news.rockresorts.com/images/9002/media_gallery/La%20Posada%20de%20Santa%20Fe%20Resort%20&%20Spa,%20A%20RockResort,%20Santa%20Fe,%20New%20Mexico%20-%20Staab%20House%20Living%20Room,%20web.jpg

Carlsbad Caverns -- haven't been there in years, but I remember how impressed I
was when I last visited. HUGE caverns, breathtaking.
http://www.nps.gov/cave/index.htm

The Mine Shaft Tavern, Madrid -- best and most fun biker bar in the world, on
the Turquoise Trail between Albuquerque and Santa Fe.
http://www.themineshafttavern.com/

Canyon de Chelly -- I don't think this is technically in NM, but it's a neat
place. Read Roger Zelazny's "Eye Of Cat" before going there.
http://www.nps.gov/cach/index.htm