On 07/23/2012 06:10 AM, turquoiseb wrote:
> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, turquoiseb <no_reply@...> wrote:
>> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, azgrey <no_reply@> wrote:
>>> Word.
>>>
>>> I'm down for any direction the writers wanna take it,
>>> but my intuition tells me that we are going to find out
>>> why the Cartel gave young Gustavo a pass when they killed
>>> and bled out his chemist partner in the swimming pool.
>>> It just feels like we are going to learn who it is in Chile
>>> that Juan Bolsa with the Juarez did not wish to offend.
>> I suspect you're right. I hadn't thought about the
>> "progression" thing from small crook (small fish)
>> to big crook (big fish), with Walt becoming more
>> and more of a predator as he breaks badder, but
>> it really works as a theme. So he's bound to meet
>> and have to deal with even bigger fish than Gus.
> [ For those who have not watched the series but
> plan to someday, be warned: HERE BE SPOILERS ]
>
> Wow. I hadn't seen the second episode when I wrote
> the above. T'would seem you were right about the
> German connection, and about the "bigger fish" who
> will enter the picture now that "middle-sized fish"
> Gus Fring is out of it.
>
> I've opined in the past that Walt has never *really*
> "broken bad," in that he's always struck me as being
> in self-denial of how bad he'd become. That is now
> a thing of the past. He's BAD, and he knows it. It
> isn't just "I am the one who knocks" posturing for
> his wife. He is one badass motherfucker.
>
> I really loved Lydia. It's such a wonderful play
> on the New Agey side of New Mexico and on the
> multifaceted nature of villains that one of the big
> players in the international drug trade tries to
> order camomile tea with soy milk and stevia in
> a diner where they don't know what she's talking
> about, and is forced to settle for hot water with
> lemon, all while passing a list with eleven names
> on it over the table and asking the person she's
> passing it to to kill all eleven.
>
> I'm seeing an eventual showdown not only between Walt
> and the international big fish who ran Gus, but
> between him and Hank. It's previewed and hinted at
> in the scene in which Hank's DEA boss is saying
> goodbye, having had to throw himself under the bus
> in the wake of having hob-nobbed with Gus, who was
> posing as a "police supporter." He laments, "I had
> him out to my house...Fourth of July...cooked out in
> the back yard...my son shucked the corn, my daughter
> cooked the potatoes...Fring brought sea bass. Every
> time I grill it now I make a little foil pouch, just
> like he showed me. The whole night we were laughing,
> telling stories, drinking wine. And he's somebody
> else completely. Right in front of me. Right under
> my nose."
>
> And the camera then shows us Hank's face, for seven
> or eight seconds, which is an eternity in TV editing
> time these days, and allows us to pre-imagine what
> that face is going to look like when he finds out
> about Walt.

That was one helluva episode and more like a movie than a TV episode.  I
like that they step out and innovate in this series. Comparatively, the
"True Blood" episode which I watched following was rather flat.  BTW,
for folks who like quirky shows, AMC's "Small Town Security" is a hoot.
You've got this woman who with her husband runs a security firm
somewhere in Georgia.  You'll have some expectations from that but the
show will confound them.  The woman, who is now 61, was even in a movie
or two as a teenager.  This is a "reality series" but I suspect it is
still somewhat scripted.