> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, cardemaister <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
> > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Vaj <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > > Hmmm. Must've missed that part.
>
> "This object [the siddhis] is not for him, who
> is knower of the Self, for he, the knower of the
> Self, has in view only the Self. He is content
> by himself and in himself and does not go after
> these products of ignorance."
>
> --Laghu Yogavasistha, as quoted by Vidaranya
>
> > > It DID say that yogic flying was
> > > an obstacle of Cosmic Consciousness (Skt.: turiyatita).
> >
> > Where exactly did it say that?
>
> See:
>
> http://tinyurl.com/cx4ff
>
> Vaj's story seems to have changed a bit since
> that post, though.  But perhaps he's discovered
> passages that refer explicitly to yogic flying
> as an obstacle.

"These are obstacles to samadhi; they are powers
in the worldly state."

 te samaadhaav upasargaa, vyutthaane siddhayaH.

"samaadhaav": sandhi for locative singular "samaadhau"
"siddhayaH" : nominative plural of "siddhi"

Hmmm... how big a difference would it make if
one translated "samaadhau" to 'in samaadhi' instead
of 'to samaadhi'? I seem to recall that Vyaasa or
Bhoja comments that siddhis tend to make samaadhi weaker, but they
don't obstruct it alltogether (provided I've understood
the Sanskrit approximately correctly).
For instance in YS I 13 locative singular "sthitau"
which is analogous to "samaadhau", IMO roughly has the
meaning 'in sthiti', despite the fact that translating
it exactly like that (in staying) would sound a bit
awkward in English. Moreover, in a concrete connection
locative usually translates to 'in...', as "nagare",
'in the city'. OTOH, it's true that locative should
often be tranlated to 'into' (Coulson: end result
of motion).An example from
Coulson: *jale* baalaM kSipati (he throws the child
into the water). But there is certainly not an explicit
verb of motion in the suutra.