Really fine post, Michael, very thoughtful.

 Based on what I've read, I'm not sure enlightenment experiences are always a
choice, at least not on a conscious level. I don't know how much you've read of
what Robin posted here, but he may be a case in point. From his accounts, while
he certainly wanted to become enlightened, when it happened it was completely
unexpected and not at all under his control. And it lasted for more than 10
years.

 You write, "But most of those who have 'higher states of consciousness' cycle
from those kinds of experiences into egoic focus that includes often enough the
idea that since everything is a play of awareness, it doesn't make a tinker's
damn what they do with and to people, cuz its just all consciousness playing
around. No rules, no standard of conduct..." Robin's experience was that his
actions were, as it were, dictated by cosmic forces, rather than that he could
just do whatever he felt like. His experience was that he could not do other
than what he did, even though at times there was some aspect of himself that
didn't want to do what he was doing.

 So in his case it wasn't a matter of "egoic focus" in the usual sense,
although that seems to have been what it looked like from the outside,
especially toward the end of his cult-leader period.

 What's unusual about Robin is that after his group crashed and burned and he
was disgraced, he realized something was very wrong with his enlightenment, and
he set out to get himself back to normal consciousness. It took him 25 years of
constant, grueling, agonizing effort. And he came to believe that enlightenment
was a snare and a delusion, masterminded by forces inimical to the welfare of
human beings. In his case, he believes, these forces took advantage of what he
calls his "secret infirmities," negative character traits, first to instigate
his enlightenment, and then to bring him down.

 He never thought, and doesn't to this day, that Maharishi was a con man. He
believes Maharishi was himself conned by these same forces.

 I'm struck by how closely your analysis tracks in many respects with Robin's.

Not having known or having had any experience with Rama, I can only go by his
recorded history - he certainly was known to have "acted out" - he apparently
abused and misused his position as teacher, he was a serial womanizer, and
maybe took people to the cleaners - although some seemed to feel that their
money was well spent with him, regardless of his enormities.
 I acknowledge his shortcomings, and the fact that some like Barry had some
powerful experiences with him. I am having some degree of energy experience
from reading Barry's account.

 I view Amma as a huckster, but I don't deny people have pleasant and powerful
experiences with her.

 I view M as a huckster, but the one time I saw him in person, I had what
stands today as one of the most powerful, amazing experiences of energy of my
life.

 Same with other teachers like Muktananda - they could spark energy in other
people, sometimes big time Energy, but they were or are ego-centered and
screwed up in a lot of ways that lead to the people around them getting screwed
in different ways. Chuck Anderson who was also known as Master Teacher of the
Endeavor Academy falls into that category.

 Bottom line for me is that all this has taught me the definition of
enlightenment M gave out is flawed if not downright incorrect, and yes that
includes the source material of the vedas which I feel was the pontifications
of a bunch of guys roaming around in the forest who said "Huh! This is my
reality so I am going to tell everyone it THEIR reality too, and if they don't
get on board with it, they are missing the boat."

 I feel the Universe has nearly infinite if not infinite experiences we can all
have, and the so-called higher states of awareness or enlightened perception,
including all the celestial perception stuff is just another experience among a
plethora of experiences.

 I think that if one chooses one can create an experience, a persona that is
real moral, always sativcc, always unperturbed, sort of like the historical
Buddha was supposed to have been. But most of those who have "higher states of
consciousness" cycle from those kinds of experiences into egoic focus that
includes often enough the idea that since everything is a play of awareness, it
doesn't make a tinker's damn what they do with and to people, cuz its just all
consciousness playing around. No rules, no standard of conduct, these are the
ones like Muktananda, Maharishi and Rama who go off the deep end of ego and
screw things up.

 I acknowledge the power, the depth of silence and vibrations of the infinite
that course through these people and I acknowledge the screwed up behavior.

 For whatever reason there was a vibration of infinite energy that Rama tapped
into and was an exponent of that communicated itself to Barry and I get to feel
it through Barry's writing. I am enjoying it and we'll see where it leads, if
anywhere.

 I would kinda like to think that having such an experience was what FFL was
really created for to begin with.

 And that is what I think of that.