> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, anony_sleuth_ff <no_reply@>
> wrote:

> > > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, anony_sleuth_ff <no_reply@>
> > > wrote:
> > > From the SF Chronicle, September 29, 2001 (posted before
> > > but apparently not read by you):
> >
> > Yes I read it. I commented on it. It unsubstantiated crap from
> > unnamed sources.  Didn't you get that the first time?
>
> If I had, why would I suggest you hadn't read it?
>
> <snip>
> > > "Usually, if someone has a windfall like that, you take the money
> > > and run," said the source, who spoke on condition of anonymity.
> >
> > Which is crap. millions of investors keep their windfalls in their
> > accounts for decades.
>
> I very seriously doubt anybody keeps $2.5 million
> just sitting, uninvested, in their account.

Well you are quite the non-worldy fool then.

> But in any case, it appears to me as though the source
> is talking about those who profit illegally from
> insider info--"Take the money and run" before anybody
> notices.

Lynne Howard, a spokeswoman for the Chicago Board Options Exchange
(CBOE), stated that information about who made the trades was
available immediately. "We would have been aware of any unusual
activity right away. It would have been triggered by any unusual
volume. There is an automated system called 'blue sheeting,' or the
CBOE Market Surveillance System, that everyone in the business knows
about. It provides information on the trades - the name and even the
Social Security number on an account - and these surveillance systems
are set up specifically to look into insider trading. The system would
look at the volume, and then a real person would take over and review
it, going back in time and looking at other unusual activity."
http://tbrnews.org/Archives/a048.htm

And its quite hard to do so anonomously. Next to impossible.

> <snip>
> > Here is another unnamed source with a contrary view.
> >
> > "Some cite an alleged occurance of a $2.5 million gain that hadn't
> > been claimed as of September 29, 2001. And that the owner of
> > account is unknown.
> >
> > While, this may indicate some inside knowldge of 9/11, by itself,
> > its a weak case. Setting up (all or most) brokerage account in the
> > US requires a named account, with much identifying information,
> > including addresss, ss # etc. I assume the securities firm are
> > required to do some cross checks to verify the information --
> > perhaps readers can confirm this. And deposits need to come from
> > named accounts -- the same name as the account holder. So it
> > appears implausible that investigators cannot trace the owner of
> > the account.
>
> Did somebody say investigators could not trace
> the owner of the account?  Or did you make that up?

"The source and others in the financial industry speculate that the
purchaser or purchasers -- having initially assumed the money could
be picked up without detection -- now fear exposure"
[Judy's post]

I realize one has to use a modest amount of brain power here. Sorry
its over your head. Let me spell it out for you,step by step.

1) The unnamed sources speculated that the investors, by, withdrawing
the money would reveal their idnetities.

2) This is a silly argument in that the account owners in the US are
easily traced. See CBOT above

3) The implied assumption of the unnamed sources was that #2 was not
true ---investigators could not trace
the owner of the account.

OK. Clear now?

> > Further, most investors and traders don't close their accounts after
> > each trade.
>
> Did somebody suggest they did?  Or did you make that up?

"Usually, if someone has a windfall like that, you take the money and
run,"
[Judy's post]

Taking the money and running is essentially closing out the account.
If it has a zero balance it is often shutdown within months.