<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > "Due to continuous engagements in
> > preaching and the management of the Jyotishpeeth one thing sill
> > remains to be completed and that is to give a technique to family
> > people, in general so that by sitting and meditating for a few
> > minutes in the morning and in the evening every day, they might
> > enjoy peace and hapiness in their lives you have to do this
> > remaining work, I have given you everything. A son has to complete
> > his father's remaining work after him, so also a disciple
> > completes his guru's remaining work after him."
>
> Doesn't this seem to contradict MMY's own account of what
> happened after Guru Dev died and how the movement started?

Exactly.

> By his own account he sat in Uttar Kashi without any thoughts for
> two years until he had the thought to go South to Rameshwarum (Sp?)
> Even there he was innocently goaded into doing lectures.

Perhaps he'd just "forgotten" the deathbed instructions
given to him by the guru he adored. It took him those
two years to "remember" them.  :-)

> Given MMYs delight in telling the story of his meeting Guru Dev,
> I find the omission of the story of Guru Dev's instructions to
> be unlikely.

Highly unlikely.

> I think Dr. Varma was just being creative here. I think if Guru
> Dev had given MMY this direct instruction we would have heard
> about it from him.

At the very least he wouldn't have propagated a story
that contradicts it.

We'll never know, of course, but to me this is a classic
example of Revisionist History written by a "sold out"
disciple trying to enhance the "rep" of his teacher. It's
been happening on planet Earth ever since the first
spiritual teacher appeared. "Biographers" who are trying
to write a biography from the point of view of devotion
seem to have *no problem* making things up if they feel
that the result will inspire others to feel equal "waves
of devotion" to the person they're devoted to. My bet
is that this account is one of them.

I'd class it at the same level of veracity as the guys
on my TTC who said, when we complained about the dyna-
miting next door to our hotels, "Maharishi has *definitely*
been told about the dynamite, and he told me to tell you
that you shouldn't mind it. He's working on resolving the
problem, but remember that noise is no barrier to med-
itation." Then when Maharishi visited a few weeks later,
and someone stood up to ask whether there had been any
progress on the dynamite issue. Maharishi's response?
"What dynamite?"

Turns out the course leaders had never told Maharishi
about the problem, and had made up his "answer" com-
pletely. Did they think that they were *lying* when
they did this? Probably not. They probably convinced
themselves that it was for the good of the course
participants. Similarly, I suspect that Dr. Varma
decided that giving the impression that Maharishi had
received explicit instructions from Guru Dev to do
what he had done would give him more caveat or believe-
ability in the eyes of the public. But that doesn't
make it any less fiction.

This story just doesn't hold water. Because if it did,
it makes Maharishi out to be a liar, and *his* version
of how he came to be teaching a falsehood.