----- Mensaje Original -----
De: Bart Oldeman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Fecha: Lunes, Noviembre 25, 2002 5:01 am

> On Tue, 26 Nov 2002, Axel C. Frinke wrote:
>
> > On Sat, 23 Nov 2002 01:39:39 -0500 (EST), Bart Oldeman wrote:
> >
> > BO> This is what the Linux console does: its console driver first
> translates> BO> from the used character set to Unicode, and then
> maps the Unicode to
> > BO> the font used.
> >
> > How does this work in full screen text mode? At the end, this
> requires> to display more than 256 different chars at the same
> time! (Tell me if
> > I'm completely wrong with this.)
>
> This is full screen text mode what I was talking about. You see funny
> little square boxes for each unicode character for which the font
> has no
> equivalent.
>
> I saw these square boxes for instance in Matthias mails because he
> used      264   180   B4     ´     ACUTE ACCENT
> instead of the ASCII ' and I was using cp437 on the console.

I suppose this is why whenever I try to display the "256" characters
under Linux to find the box drawing characters, I don't see them.

Q1) In order to draw such a box, does it mean that I have to look for
the box characters at Unicode, encode it to (can't remember exact abbr.)
UTF8, then output to screen AT the desired position?

Q2) Is it possible for a non-root to change manually (via a program) the
256 "de facto" characters and the Unicode->256 mapping function? (for
Linux full text mode) Where do I start looking at?

Aitor

PS: sorry for being off-topic.