Bart Oldeman wrote:

see the keyboard and console howto, and man setfont
Also you can draw boxes using the ncurses or slang library.

Well, thanx. I did man setfont, found /lib/kbd/consolefonts and the list that included drdos8x8.psfu.gz, and found that I could shell out with ctrl-alt-F2 ... login as user,
and see an 80x50 textmode screen.

but anyway, this is off-topic (beyond porting programs between DOS and
Linux) so I'll stop here.

Not to me it aint. I'm trying to craft text mode screens that will look exactly the same in both dos and Linux and os2. ( I dont do windoz). And thanx to you, I see that a Linux user can see the very same 50 line text screen that a dos user does. Altho, the red filenames were changed into some kind of weird unreadable set of symbols.

Hmm. is there a dos file manager which color codes files?