________________________________

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Jennifer
Phaewryn O'Gwynn
Sent: Friday, December 29, 2006 4:08 PM
To: felvtalk@felineleukemia.org
Subject: Re: OT - Help, aggressive cat

Welcome to the world of Owner Surrenders! What one says is certainly
usually NOT what one gets! It's common for a "sweet kitty with no
problems" to actually arrive to you as "kitty from hell about to gouge
out your eyeballs in a fit of rage". That being said, you do sometimes
get a cat in that really was a good cat in it's own home, and is just so
totally freaked out by the change and new surroundings and strangers
that it will just freak out and seem completely feral. My suggestion is
to keep her as you are, in a smaller room, and give her lots of hiding
places, like boxes nested inside each other, baskets, and a kennel with
an open door (or the door removed). When you are in with her, move very
slowly; NEVER make eye contact, always keep your shoulders angled away
from her, never face her straight on, as that is threatening body
language. When you HAVE to look at her, squint your eyes, but keep your
face relaxed, as narrowed eyes are a sign of friendliness in cats. Don't
try to approach her or touch her. Sit down on the other side of the room
and don't face her, but sit in there quietly while she eats, just so she
gets used to your presence. Move slowly, be quiet while you are in her
room. She may come around. Or maybe not, and the owner might have
completely made up the fact that she is tame, just so you would take
her. It happens.

Phaewryn

Donations Needed for Whitey's emergency Vet Care!
http://ucat.us/Whitey.html
DONATE VIA PAYPAL:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_xclick&business=seething%40vt
link%2enet&item_name=DONATION%20to%20Whitey%20Veterinary%20Bill%20Fund
12/24/06 Whitey Pictures: http://ucat.us/Whitey/WhiteyNewPics.html
Whitey Models on Ebay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Cleos-Catnip-ORGANIC-2-ounces-cat-nip-KITTY-YUMMY_W0
QQitemZ140067996154QQihZ004QQ