I only feed my cats the brands mentioned and others like them, mostly Wellness and Felidae (another good brand) and Wysong.  But since Simon has been sick I feed him whatever he will eat. Sometimes he does eat some of the healthy stuff, but usually will only eat other stuff.

Some of the foods in the grocery store do not contain meat by-products, such as certain flavors of Fancy Feast and Meow Mix packets.  If they do not say "meat by-products" or something similarly vague, then they do not have euthanized cats and dogs in them. You want foods to specify what kind of meat, like fish, poultry, beef, etc.

Michelle