At 11:23 PM 7/11/02 -0700, Alain Mayrand wrote:
>has an unusual format since it has  four horn lines, 3
>trumpet and trombone lines and, well, you get the picture.

Yes. This is one of the great failures of all notation programs ... someone
correct me if I'm wrong and this has changed, but I do not believe any
notation program has the true concept of a part.

There are layers that make entering four horns easier, but a true part does
not exist -- where, for example, "a2" and "1." are properly interpreted,
thus allowing the separation of the the staff into correct parts.

To answer your question just a little: I use layers to enter different
parts on a single staff. Where the notes are the same, I do not enter
anything into the other layer. For solo sections for second horn, for
example, I use the second layer. It is just about adequate. In such cases,
I find it easier to extract parts by hand, exploding the staff and entering
corrections by comparing it with the unexploded staff. Others?

I wish Finale could tag true parts and have it follow them through.

Dennis

.