1) Changes in MIDI don't usually play back until you click the stop
button in the Playback tool. This tells the program to dump the
memory of the previous playback.

2) Make sure that the play continuous data is checked in the playback
preferences.

3) I know you don't want to go this route, but changing key
velocities rather that controller data has some advantages depending
on the synth or sampler. (e.g., you can get different attacks or
sounds at different velocity levels and a better signal to noise
ratio and so on).

Can you set volume levels from within the mixer, real or virtual?
This may be the best way to go for instrument templates that you use
a lot.

Two last "D'oh" kind of things to check: Are you changing continuous
controller #7 or some other number? Is your synth/sampler/midi
interface/quicktime instrument filtering out controller data in some
way?

Best wishes,
Randolph Peters