I wrote:
Can you set volume levels from within the mixer, real or virtual?
This may be the best way to go for instrument templates that you use
a lot.

Andrew Stiller wrote:
>What mixer? QuickTime Player? How do I do that?
>And another question: how do I increase the *maximum* volume? On my
>hardware synth, I can slide the volume up to deafening levels, but
>the QuickTime Musical Instruments all seem to have a maximum
>amplitude of mp.

How do you mix the sounds from the Quicktime instruments coming from
your computer and those of the hardware synth? Quicktime instruments
will have a hard time competing with a MIDI synth in terms of volume,
latency (they are audibly late) and sound quality.

(Remind me what your equipment is. It may help.)

Once you start caring about controller levels and MIDI editing, it is
a slippery slope! If you want to slide, read on...

There are very cheap software samplers around such as VSamp
(http://www.kagi.com/smaug/vsamp) or even Soft SampleCell
(www.digidesign.com/).
Of course, you then need to start collecting samples to create
instruments, but the results are much more satisfying than Quicktime
instruments. I've used both of these software samplers with Finale
and had good results. I don't recommend the Unity software sampler,
but others have had OK results with it.

Does your hardware synth allow multiple MIDI channels inputs with
different sounds on each channel? You may already have these features
and not know it.

-Randolph Peters