>How do you mix the sounds from the Quicktime instruments coming from
>your computer and those of the hardware synth?

I don't. I used to use my synth for playback, when all I was
concerned about was proofhearing, but since MIDI demos are
increasingly important (especially for orchestra music) I feel I
should produce a MIDI output that I can post to the Web and that
would produce intelligible results emerging from other folks'
systems. That means I have to deal w. my Mac's built-in instrumental
sounds,  which means the QuickTime insts.

>Quicktime instruments will have a hard time competing with a MIDI
>synth in terms of volume, latency (they are audibly late) and sound
>quality.
>
>(Remind me what your equipment is. It may help.)

Just the Mac itself and a Roland D-5 synth. The central problem w.
the synth is that it  predates General MIDI, so all its patches are
wrong for "broadcasting". Since in addition any channel assignments I
program to it are overwritten by Finale 2002 :-( !!! every time I
click the Speedy tool, I now no longer use the thing for anything
except note entry.

I should emphasize again that I am not primarily interested in making
the MIDI sound good *to me* (though obviously I need a certain degree
of clarity for proofhearing purposes) but to a hypothetical on-line
listener using unknown equipment. I have been operating under the
assumption that a fairly hefty percentage of those listeners will be
using the QuickTime sounds, and that if I therefore optimize playback
for those sounds, that will be the best I can do.
--
Andrew Stiller
Kallisti Music Press

http://www.kallistimusic.com