At 11:51 PM 07/12/02, Johannes Gebauer wrote:
>I think we have to be realistic here: I doubt very much that Coda is going
>to change the way expressions work in such a fundamental way that they are
>going to give expressions names that are separate from the actual text. I
>don't object to the concept, but I don't think they would be such an
>improvement that it is worth the investment. If we get
>- metatools
>- type into score with auto-complete
>- autoplacing expressions with more intuitive control over staff assignments
>I would be more than happy, and rather have grace note spacing fixed on top
>of that for the next release.

As I mentioned, type-in-score isn't a priority for me anyway.  I'm more
interested in expanding metatools. How about two-letter metatools? How
about a window that lets me edit my metatool assignments more efficiently?
Of course, if you expand two-letter metatools to three-letter metatools,
and then to many-letter metatools, then it's the same thing as a name
anyway.

I was thinking of the name as an expansion of the metatool, not a change in
the structure of an expression. Right now an expression can have a metatool
assigned, right?  So you upgrade that so that the metatool can be a string
instead of just a character. I didn't think it was such a radical
departure, as I described it.  From the user's point of view, the change is
entirely invisible to users that don't care to use it.

But I'm not a programmer, so I can only make educated guesses at what works
and what doesn't.

Anyway, I'll happily settle for effective autoplacing expressions, however
they implement them.  For me, that's ten times more important than
type-in-score.  More than ten, actually.

[Johannes again, in another post]

>I don't think it makes sense for a "type into score" feature to support
>expressions in a music font anyway. I was talking about text expressions,
>and there are kinds of music (esp modern operas and the like) that uses a
>lot of text expressions. That's where I don't need metatools, I need type
>into score. Metatools are useless in that kind of situation.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding your idea then.  I thought you guys were saying
that type-in-score would not create a new expression, but would select from
among the existing expressions beginning with the letters typed.  So if
I've got a fermata on my list as an expression, and I do type-in-score
starting with "U", I'm going to get the fermata, right?  Or are you
suggesting that Finale needs to "know" which ones are in the music font and
weed them out of the list?

mdl