At 5:45 PM 07/12/02, Christopher BJ Smith wrote:
>Yes, this has been an issue for Jazzfont users who want to type
>chords into score. The nicely stacked 7(#11b13#9) chord suffix shows
>up as a single character, and I am darned if I can remember which one
>it is! THere are 80 or so pre-aligned stacks like this, all under a
>single character, and nobody can possibly remember them all, and it
>is a huge pain to scroll through the list looking for the right one,
>ditto for looking it up on a printout beside your desk.

I rarely use chords, so I'm not familiar with this, but it sounds like the
same idea.  As far as I'm concerned any item which is going to be selected
from a long list needs to have a name which is separate from the actual
text. The process which creates the item can have the name copy the actual
text as a default, but the user should be able to make a separate name.
This gives a lot of flexibility to the user in terms of deciding for
himself what keystrokes will call up the item.

Something else I don't think we've mentioned yet is that it's quite likely
that a comprehensive list of expressions will have more than one with the
same text (eg, different typestyle, different playback, etc.). With just
type-in-score keyed off the text, you won't be able to access the second
one.

mdl