On 13 Jul 2002, at 6:33, David H. Bailey wrote:

> Mark D. Lew wrote:
>
> [snip]
>

> > Something else I don't think we've mentioned yet is that it's quite likely
> > that a comprehensive list of expressions will have more than one with the
> > same text (eg, different typestyle, different playback, etc.). With just
> > type-in-score keyed off the text, you won't be able to access the second
> > one.
>
> That's an attribute of how the feature is implemented -- it COULD be
> implemented by showing all occurences of the same text in a drop-down
> window so you can highlight and double-click the actual one you want
> assigned.  That's how Netscape does it for email addresses -- I type the
> name I want and all occurences in my address book appear so I can select
> which one I want.

To me, it is wrong to have multiple instances of the same expression. If
my subclassing suggestion were implemented, you wouldn't need that at
all. You'd have a single definition, and then changes to playback, font,
display, positioning, etc., would be attributes of the particular
instance of the expression, with those attributes overriding the
properties of the underlying parent expression definition.

Now, obviously, I wouldn't advocate eliminating the ability to create
more than one instance of the same expression text, as I can imagine a
situation in which half the instances of an expression would use the
default settings and half would use the overridden settings. In that
case, it would be much easier to define two separate expressions than it
would be to have to make changes to every single one of the instances of
the expression that depart from the defaults.

But for me, most of my duplicate expressions would be completely
unnecessary if I could override properties of the basic expression
definition in any particular instance of it.

--
David W. Fenton                         |        http://www.bway.net/~dfenton
David Fenton Associates                 |        http://www.bway.net/~dfassoc