Of course, that really does beg the question, why would the programmers of Finale think that anybody would NOT want the tempo tool changes to be played? After all, anything done with the tempo tool doesn't show up in the score in any way, serving no graphic purpose at all, they are only there for playback, so why would anybody ever think that playback-only-things would NOT be desired to be heard?

I would think the more logical way for the thing to work (I know, computer programming and logic don't always exist in the same room at the same time) would be to assume that all tempo tool changes SHOULD be played unless somebody followed the indicated process about the non-printing expression which would then be set for playback options of DON'T play tempo tool changes.

I am glad to have followed this exchange because I hadn't known (or had forgotten about that setting) and am glad to be reminded of it.

Thanks!

(I'm out of town for the next week, so I will be interested to see when I return what other thoughts come out about my remarks!)

Merry Christmas to all!

Harold Owen wrote:
Thanks, Jari. I had forgotten about that setting.

Hal

Harold Owen writes:

 2. Unfortunately, when I make a MIDI file of the variations, all
 tempo changes entered with the tempo tool are ignored as well as
 those I entered using Jari's great JW Tempo plug-in. Is there a way
 to fix this, or do I have to enter all tempo changes as text
 expressions with playback assignments (a kludge if there ever was
 one!)?

At the beginning of the document, insert a non-printing expression with
the "Play Tempo Tool Changes" playback type. Now the MIDI export will
include all Tempo Tool changes to the MIDI file.

Best regards,

Jari Williamsson
ICQ #: 78036563

--