On Saturday, Dec 21, 2002, at 09:57 US/Pacific, Harold Owen wrote:

Perhaps it's time for me to propose again that the Tempo Tool be replaced by a tool that displays a "tempo track" with a time line marked off in measures showing all tempo settings entered (as metronome markings) and would allow for entry of new tempo changes. It would also allow for ritard and accelerando entries with something like an arrow between two MM marks, all of which would play back correctly and eliminate the complicated ways Finale now handles tempo.
I wonder if that would work with my idea that instead of the Midi Tool being a separate window, what it should do is toggle the current Scroll View into the data readout that it is able to present. The tempo line would be placed above the top staff (if there were no independant time sigs) or anticipating that one day asynchronous playback will be available, at the top of each independently time-sigged staff. The thing about this toggled view is that it would really be more of a spreadsheet kind of thing: the normal (vertical) stave spacing would disappear while in this view so as to permit the data editing/viewing facilities to be presented with comfortable sized buttons, handles, readouts, etc. It might also be a way to integrate the (Edit) Frame dialog facilities so one could snap around to different measures easily.

Thing is that Finale has so many dialogs focusing on this or that minute detail of a score's "data picture" but not a set of "data views" whereby one can take in the whole picture and scroll through it. Tempo is just one of the items.

Philip Aker
http://www.aker.ca