Thanks Darcy for your detailed response. A big part of my problem with OS X is that I DO have a beige G3 that has been upgraded with a G4 zif card. Many of the problems associated with the G3s still exist even with a faster processor--no SCSI support on a beige G3, option-key restarting not available, the need to install X on the first 8 GB of the master volume (taking up half of my first drive!) and other work-arounds needed to use an upgraded card.

I did get X working though, and it was stable except for some Classic operations. Many of the reasons you listed for going with X appealed to me, but they will have to wait for another computer. Software synths and samplers with very low latency is another promise of X that I hope will come true.

I don't know what happened to my system 9 partition, but it was murder getting it to work again. (I could boot from a CD, but not my master drive.)

Under missing functionality I did miss QuicKeys (although I think they make an X version, but no easy translation of the 100s of macros I use) and I noticed that many of the key commands for programs and macros are taken over by the system anyway. And why can't you drag and drop onto the Dock? This seems like a major oversight! Perhaps a future release will take care of that.

Some of the gimmicks in X can be turned off, such as the animated morphing tricks, but you are right about everything feeling sluggish. When I got back to System 9 it felt like a huge relief to have windows open and close quickly.

System 9 may be dead but it will still be running my "mission critical" apps for at least another year.

-Randolph Peters