At 7:13 PM -0500 1/26/03, Darcy James Argue wrote:
Unfortunately, the
GUI is *much* slower, and this creates the (incorrect) perception of general
all-around sluggishness.  Unfortunately, the slowness in GUI also extends
somewhat to graphics apps (really, anything that involves screen redraws),
so while most Photoshop filters are faster, scrolling, etc is slower.
Hopefully this is something that will improve with time, and of course
ever-faster hardware will make this less and less of a problem.

Well, the GUI is what we are using most of the time, and if I have to wait around for boxes to open, screens to redraw, etc., then I work more slowly. However, I WAS nonplussed at how fast scrolling is on my (now 1 year old) G4; in some programs the font menu scrolls so fast that I can't use any font whose name begins with K, L, or M, as I zip past those fonts to the end of the font list no matter how slowly I move the mouse.

christopher