On 24 Jan 2003 at 8:07, Darcy James Argue wrote:

> and by the way, having used my dad's WinXP machine
> over the holidays, I gotta say, whoever claimed that Windows XP
> antialiasing is just just as good as Quartz in OS X was smoking a big
> bowl of crack

A client of mine bought a new PC just before Christmas, and,
naturally, the best version of Windows (Win2K) is no longer
purchasable, so they got WinXP Pro.

I thought the anti-aliasing was absolutely dreadful, not even close
to as good on all previous versions of Windows (going back to Win95
with the Plus! pack, which provided good anti-aliasing on Windows
back in 1995). And as the monitor is a beautiful 17" flat LCD, I
tried the new "ClearType" anti-aliasing, and that was substantially
worse than the normal anti-aliasing!

I don't know what Microsoft thinks they are doing, but in this one
regard, they've made Windows a lot less usable than it was in
all previous versions, going back to 1995!

--
David W. Fenton                 |       http://www.bway.net/~dfenton
David Fenton Associates         |       http://www.bway.net/~dfassoc